Test Automation with Selenium and Python
Do you spend too much time manually testing your web UI? Automation is the right solution to this problem. Learn how to use the combination of Selenium WebDriver and Python code to automate web UI tests.
Automated Software Testing with Python
Python is a multi-purpose, object-oriented, scripting language that uses simple English keywords and has fewer syntax complications. It continues to rise up in the charts and currently ranks as the 3rd best programming language just after Java and C, as per the index published by TIOBE.
With the increased use of this favorite language, there is more demand for test automation frameworks based on Python among IT companies to cut down the project maintenance cost.
Choosing the best test framework for a project depends on
- the script quality of the framework
- test case simplicity
- static code analysis
- support for multiple IDE
- writing effective test cases
- the technique to run the modules
- well-written API automation for a custom performance testing framework
Selenium is an open-source, most popular, and powerful tool used in web application testing.
Python and Selenium offer an easy to use yet a powerful framework to script any testing. The Python APIs empower you to connect with browsers through Selenium, where it sends standard Python commands to different browsers, despite variation in their browser's design. Selenium can be used to perform cross-browser testing Windows, Linux, Unix, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.
Five Python frameworks for test automation in the current market are Pytest, UnitTest PyUnit, Robot Framework, Behave, Lettuce.
Learning automation testing with Selenium & Python makes you an in-demand IT pro! Grab this opportunity by training with us to dominate Automation Testing space!
Jumpstart Your Python Automation Journey
As more and more applications are moving to cloud, web automation jobs have become ever more in demand. Since selenium is the most widely used web automation tool and Python is thoroughly supported by selenium, there is a huge demand for automation with selenium and such experienced testers.
Why choose Python in Selenium?
- Python programs are faster and more productive
- Python has meaningful syntax, good structure, modularity, and a rich ecosystem of tools and packages, uses indentation and dynamically typed
- Python is a powerful bridge from test case to test code and entire test automation workflow can be driven from Python's command line
- since Python is an interpreted language there’s no need to “build” test code first
- PyTest can handle any functional tests: unit, integration, and end-to-end
- Python has a rich library of useful packages for testing: Selenium WebDriver, pytest, unittest, doctest, tox, Splinter, logging, paramiko, requests, Hypothesis
- Good IDE support by Python - Atom, Sublime, PyDev, Notepad++, PyCharm, pytest
Our Python automation course covers below topics:
- introduction to the Python scripting for developing automated QA skills
- object-oriented and functional aspects of Python
- Selenium IDE, WebDriver, different ways Selenium can be used, its advantages and limitations
- recognizing the browsers supported by Selenium
- recording, editing, executing and exporting scripts with Selenium IDE
- how to locate elements, navigate pages, test user interactions with forms and drag-and-drop elements, and use waits to control test timing and execution
- creating reusable automation tests/methods
- usage of Git and Travis for continuous integration of your project
- unit test frameworks and GUI automation with Selenium
- basic knowledge of software test planning, design, execution, and defect reporting
- good to have an understanding of test automation principles
- we recommend attending our Advanced Python Course
- some knowledge of how web applications work
- Understanding of REST APIs will be helpful
Selenium webdriver helps speed up runtime of your testing environment with efficient, continuous integration, and a tried-and-tested approach and you'll have much higher quality in your projects.
Automate Your Tasks
You can perform tasks easily such as searching a web page, assessing the quality of a product, or create an exclusive all web UI automation process - navigating through the pages of a website, filling out and submitting text box forms, handling pop-ups, and many more.
Huge Job Openings
There is a huge demand for Automation testers with selenium and Python skills as more and more companies are using automation testing.
Easy to Learn
Python is an easy, simple, open-source, multi-purpose language.
Open-Source and Flexible
Both Python and Selenium are open-source and are flexible. This enables the tester to write and run test scripts easily.
Check Your Python Automation Skills
How much do you know about Python Automation?
Take our free test.
Main Modules of Python Automation Course
This course teaches you to write and run test scripts using Selenium and Python.
Getting Started with Selenium
- Selenium IDE, WebDriver
- Installing Selenium package
- Browsing Selenium WebDriver
- Installing PyCharm
- Setting up PyCharm
- Setting up Internet Explorer
- Setting up Google Chrome
- Basic Programming in Python
- Function & Parameters in Python
- Python Data structures and Multithreading
- Python - File Operations
- Python Modules
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Sending emails, HTML email
- Read all emails, Searching email
- Reading body of the email
- Download all attachments
- Interacting with multiple servers
- Triggering scripts/commands on server and fetching results
- Copy files from server to local and vice versa
- HTML Basics
- Learning XPATH, Absolute XPATH, Relative XPATH, dynamic XPATH
- text() function
- Locating HTML elements using multiple ways, Element checkpoints, clicking elements like chec
- Find Element by ID, XPATH, LINK, PARTIAL LINK, CSS, NAME etc
- Selenium Webdriver APIs, Selenium IDE
- Browser actions
- Working with dropdowns
- Use of PyTest framework to automate the test cases
- Configuring search path of test cases
- PyTest fixtures for modularization
- PyTest for Testers and Developers
Time Synchronization - Waits in Webdriver
- how to use implicit wait
- how to use explicit wait
- The expected condition class
- Waiting for an element to be enabled
- Waiting for alerts
- Implementing custom wait conditions
Front-End Automation - II
- Calendar, tool-tip alerts
- Handle upload/downloads
- Headless browser
- Deal with multiple windows
- Handle Frames
- Action chains mouse, keys, drag, and drop
- Scrolling pages horizontal/vertical
- Screenshot, Excel file handling
- Cookie handling in selenium
- Rest API handling using python GET, POST, PUT, DELETE
Page Object Model Development
- Data-driven testing
- Using ddt for data-driven tests, Installing ddt
- Creating a simple data-driven test with ddt in unittest
- Using external data sources for data-driven tests
- Reading values from CSV, Reading values from Excel
- The page objects pattern
- Organizing tests
- The BasePage object, Implementing page objects, Creating a test with page objects
Writing Tests Using unittest
- Exploring unittest library
- Exploring TestCase class
- The setUp() method
- Writing tests
- Cleaning up the code
- Running the test
- Understanding Class-level setUp() and
- What is Assertions
- Know about Test suites
- Generating the HTML test report
- Jenkins and Continuous Integration with Jenkins
- Working with GIT, Maven and Jenkins
Analysis of Cross-Browser Testing
- What is Selenium standalone server
- Downloading the Selenium standalone server
- How to launch the Selenium standalone server
- Running a test on the Selenium standalone server
- Adding support for Internet Explorer
- Adding support for Chrome
- Selenium Grid
- Launching Selenium server as a hub
- How to add nodes, How to add an IE node
- How to add a Firefox node, How to add a Chrome node
- How to run tests in Grid
- How to run tests in a cloud
- Using Sauce Labs
Still Wondering? We got an idea. Evaluate us before you enroll.
Explore oodles of opportunities in the field of Automation testing by taking courses at Online Idea Lab. Ask for a Free Demo Class before you make up your mind.
Our Python Courses
Bulk Booking Discounts
Please choose if you want to do multiple courses together or would like to bring in your colleagues with you.
Specific Needs? Let's Customize!
Please choose if your organization has a specific training agenda, we can customize a course for you.
Why Go for Online Idea Lab?
Gain Hands-On Experience
Through our Python automation course, you will learn to test your Python applications using Selenium to build better and complete solutions.
Become an Expert Tester
Upon completion, you should be able to write selenium scripts, exception handling, and automated actions performed on a browser.
Move to Automation Testing
After the course, manual testers can easily change their skills to automation testing and can appear job interviews with much confidence.
Boost Your Resume
You will be able to put your Python and/or Selenium code on GitHub and mention it on your resume so that elevates your job profile.
Various Career Options
You can apply for roles like quality assessment engineer, software automation test engineer, or software developers with automation testing skills.
Talk to trainer
Talk directly with our trainer to get detailed information about this course.
The challenge of a tester is to test as little as possible. Test less, but test smarter.
We are always keen to know what our students have to say about their experience at Online Idea Lab. Read below and know what they have shared.
I am 100% satisfied with Python automation course and its content. The trainer is a highly knowledgeable professional and cleared all my doubts in automation testing with python without any hesitation. The batch of the student was also competitive and I gained a lot of ideas from them.
Asta Choudhry, Software Tester
Normally I don't give 5 stars unless I'm blown away. There are many things in this Python automation training course that I like but I'll go ahead and break it into 2 parts1. The trainer! Amazing personality with a lot of perseverance and knowledge in the Testing domain. Even for first-timers, it is a MUST to attend every class to absorb as much information as possible from him. 2. This class is pure HANDS-ON. You can dedicate your time to work on automated testing tools and it is a good return on investment for you.
Dane Bernard, Software Developer
After much research and reviews by various groups about good testing training institutes around my countryside, I enrolled here. I felt, even before attending the course that I had made the right decision because the kind of information provided to me over the phone about the course was very positive. The instructor was an expert in automation testing and a good teacher who connected well with his students. Very patient and was willing to help with any subject related doubts I had even after the classes. I strongly recommend them.
Macy Parker, Software Tester
I think this Python automation course was right choice for me. Every learner can learn more about definitions from any book but hardly involve in practice if you do not work towards it. Automation testing with Python training course by this institute makes us perfect by providing hands-on practical labs and live demos. Trainer gave us on the spot assignments to write Test cases and solved many Test case Scenarios which helped us to deep-dive into automation testing concepts.
Roshan Bhatia, Manual Tester
To know more about Automation Testing with Python do get in touch with us.
How to proceed?
Few Interesting Facts and Stats
- Many big companies use Python for their products/ services like Uber, Dropbox, Youtube, Hike, Yahoo!, etc.
- According to information obtained in April 2019 by PYPL, Python continues to be the most popular programming language and Python grew the most in the last 5 years (17.6%).
- Guido Van Rossum, a Dutch programmer, developed Python in 1991.
- The C variant of Python is known as CPython, The Java variant is known as Jython.
- Python does not support pointers.
- In 2019 as per Stackoverflow Developer Survey, Python moved to third place on the list of most in-demand IT skills.
Companies Hiring Python Professionals