Starting up a new business is never easy. You have to figure out many things on your own. When you are a first-time entrepreneur, you are dealing with many aspects all alone. This is as thrilling as it is scary. And that is the best part of being an entrepreneur. You face challenges every day and learn how to manage so many different verticals of business. Apart from financial, operational, and logistical aspects, today marketing also has proven to be a game-changer if done the right way. Here are some tips on how to craft a Content Marketing Strategy for your startup:
1. Define Your Target Audience
If you are wondering where to start from while chalking out a content marketing strategy for your business, this is a good way to start. Knowing your audience well will take you two steps ahead of your competition. Identify the following about your audience before you start with your strategy:
- Consumer behaviour
- Goals and needs
Align your goal with your customers and work towards how you can help them achieve it.
2. Competitor Analysis
After defining your target audience, the next step is to know your competition. If you are a new entrant, then you have a lot of catching up to do. Here are some steps to start:
- Name your direct five competitors. Analyze their social media handles and website. Subscribe to their online channels and newsletters, follow them on social media. Stay abreast of the latest happenings.
- How is their content? How often do they post on social media? What platforms do they use? Where do they have maximum popularity?
- What worked for them in terms of likes, shares, and comments.
- What didn’t work for them? Where they are lacking. This will give you a clear picture of something that you should want to do and what you should avoid.
- Lastly, never be a copy of your direct competitor. Stay unique.
3. Plan Your Strategy With A Calendar
Make a schedule of your content sharing timeline. You can choose from various social media calendars available online. This will help you to keep track of your entire plan in a glance and you will not run out of ideas at the last moment:
- First, choose a topic that will be the base of your post.
- Plan in advance which type of post–Blog, Video, Podcast, E-Mail, Newsletter, Paid Ad, etc– will be shared on a certain date.
- Look for upcoming events or special days that suit your marketing strategy and make sure you are ready with a brand new post for that special day. For instance, if you are a gifting company, your agenda must have a post on Valentine’s Day.
- Choose your social media platform like YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc
- Plan the frequency of posts. More on this will be discussed in the following point.
4. Post Content Regularly
It is a crucial part of a successful content marketing strategy. It helps to build trust in your user. Authentic, original, and unique content shared in the right amount can win you, loyal customers. Also, keep the following points in mind:
- It is important to note that bombarding your audience with multiple posts in a day might result in annoying them instead of impressing them. It is also one of the major reasons why people unfollow a certain page.
- Keep the target audience’s preferences in mind and produce quality content accordingly.
- Always choose quality over quantity. You need not share 10-15 posts per week with low-quality content. You can start with two blogs per week which are backed by robust research and excellent writing. Along with sending a newsletter with industry insights once a month. A couple of pictures per week with some interesting stories to tell can keep the user engaged. Gradually you can increase the frequency of better performing posts.
5. Measure, Benchmark & Assess
Once you post a piece of content, always measure the success rate. Notice what works and what doesn’t. Set benchmarks comparing with your competitor’s response on similar posts and work towards achieving it. Important points to keep in mind:
- Notice likes, shares, and comments on every post.
- Make sure that your posts are in good taste and don’t hurt sentiments of any category of your users.
- Boost your post with paid ads if you feel that it deserves to reach maximum audiences.
- Read comments to know what people like about the post.
6. Use The Power Of Social Media
There is no other medium that reaches a large audience and is also pocket friendly for new entrepreneurs. Your target audience will be segregated over various social media platforms. Make sure you promote your content on all of these platforms and harness its power to the fullest to reach your target audience. Simply writing a blog or creating and posting a great video with outstanding content is not always enough. To make it reach your target audience, you need to boost the piece of content with paid ads. Use Google ads, Instagram Ads, Facebook Ads, etc to widen your lead generating funnel.
7. Share Visual Content More
It’s observed that people interact more with visual content like an image, video, or infographic. It is simply more engaging than a plain piece of text. Not everyone enjoys reading articles or blogs. Always make sure you add a visual element to catch your consumers’ eyes.
8. Focus On Niche
To make your content stand out from the rest of the crowd choose a niche topic from your industry type and write a piece about that. For example, you are a pharma company. Presently, everybody is talking about COVID-19 and its effects, symptoms, etc. You can create a post about how the pandemic has impacted the world pharma market.
I hope these tips will help you in crafting an effective content marketing strategy for your business. Digitalization has helped the world shrink into one big market place and with social media your audience is unlimited. You just need to use social media tools smartly to reach your target audience. Keep exploring your options and decide what works for you in terms of customer engagement and what gives you maximum return on investment. An effective content marketing strategy can be the best friend of your bottom line. Thanks for reading! 🙂